History of Karin Dom
Karin Dom was established in 1994 by Mr. Ivan Stancioff, former Bulgarian Ambassador to the UK and to the Republic of Ireland and ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The Stancioff family offered the family house (built in 1908, nationalized by the state in 1944 and returned to the family after the restitution of property in 1993) to the Foundation, named after Karin - a cousin of the Stancioffs who was born with cerebral palsy.
Karin Dom means Karin's Home.
Meetings with parents and children to assess the needs for services, employing professionals, getting to know good practices in other countries, fundraising for building refurbishment, for equipment, and for running costs started in 1994.
The Children's Centre was officially inaugurated by the President of Bulgaria in 1996.
With the voluntary help of British professionals, working principles were introduced, which were then new to the country: early intervention, team work, individual programmes for children, consulting children's choice, partnership with parents, children's rights, and social inclusion.
The term children with special needs was introduced to replace the terms invalids and non-educable children. The aim was, and still is, to offer professional services in a non-residential setting and to help achieve social inclusion for a better quality of life.